Setting up SSH to a Windows 7 virtual box Be A Better Coder
I Learned these first steps from the most reliable source ever. For a step by step video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoSebbqBQQo
I found another guide while writing this that explains the second part http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/41560/how-to-get-ssh-command-line-access-to-windows-7-using-cygwin/
Making The Box
- Download VirtualBox ( https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads )
- Get an ISO of Windows 7 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoSebbqBQQo )
- In VirtualBox create a new machine after the Windows 7 Template.
- Use ICH9 and Enable IO APIC, Otherwise the box segfaults on boot.
- Mount the Windows 7 ISO as an IDE DVD drive. It will not detect it as SATA
- Install windows 7
Getting SSH Working
- Download Cygwin ( http://cygwin.com/install.html )
- Install OpenSSH via Cygwin
- Run ssh-host-configas Adminstrator. This will make a new user account to run SSHd as a windows service.
Getting MSVC working
- Download and install Visual Studio 2010
- Source this shell script in your cygwin .bashrc https://gist.github.com/3717601
blog comments powered by Disqus